Want more God? Check your prayer.
Truth is, we spend most of our time praying that God will give us what we really want- and its not Him.
We only go to God to get:
- the job
- corner office
- a spouse
- hitting our fighting weight
- for our to kid make the travel team
- finally getting some money in our savings account
- straight As
- or my most favorite muscle car ever (yes, I got it- pictured above:)
Tune to the right channel- THEN, check your content…
- In order for the thing we want not to become an idol we seek after more than God, make sure you have an open channel to God.
- Then pray for the things HE wants us to be a part of: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Along with gospel principles such as mercy, grace and justice. Pray what’s in scripture.
Yes, really! Pray for those things by name, and things going on in your life where you can apply them. What God wants for us, what he wants us to be praying for, is right in His Word.
Every time you do this, even when you’re not feeling it, you are fighting the idolatry in your heart. The Holy Spirit will actually redirect the desires of your heart away from the whatever it is that you really want- to you really wanting more of God.